The following document provides a brief insight about how to clone Oracle E-Business Suite to a remote machine using RMAN active duplication feature assuming both are running Oracle enterprise Linux 6.4
Cloning is the act of creating an identical copy of an existing Oracle E-Business Suite system. The system to be cloned is referred to as the source system, and the newly created system is referred to as the target system.
Cloning E-Business Suite can be done using various methods but this document discusses about cloning using RMAN active duplication feature.
Cloning has various uses, such as:
- Creating a copy of a production system for patch testing
- To add new nodes, or rename an instance
- Creating a staging area to reduce the downtime required for patching
- Refreshing a test system from a production system
- Moving an existing system to a different machine or platform
Cloning an Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 system can be accomplished by running the Rapid Clone tool. This article describes the procedure to perform a hot clone of existing Oracle E-Business Suite R12 environment including the database and application tiers.
- Two machines must be running the same version of the same operating system. Source system can be running an earlier version of the same operating system that is being used on the target system. But it is not supported to clone from a later version of an operating system to an earlier one.
- Install required RPM’s and perform other prerequisites on target machine as per the installation document.
- Create the required directories and users on the target system and grant the permissions on directories.
- Make sure to source the environments for oracle and applmgr environments for the database and applications tiers. The database must be in archivelog mode.
We need to run the pre-clone scripts for the database and applications tiers before we can clone the environment.
- Prepare the source system database tier:
The pre-clone script for database tier is called
$ORACLE_HOME/appsutil/scripts/. This script prepares the source system database tier for cloning by creating all the necessary directories, scripts and drivers. This script does not make any changes to the source system. It only creates clone stage area for dbTier in,
For generating the clone stage area run ‘adpreclone.pl’ as shown in the picture below. This script can be found in ‘$ORACLE_HOME/appsutil/scripts/<SID_hostname>’ directory.
After the script is executed succesfully, a new folder ‘clone’ gets created as shown below,
- Prepare the source system application tier:
The pre-clone script for application tier is also called
$ORACLE_HOME/appsutil/scripts/. This script prepares the source system application tier for cloning by creating all the necessary directories, scripts and drivers. This script does not make any changes to the source system. It only creates clone stage area for application tier in,
For generating the clone stage area run ‘adpreclone.pl’ as shown in the picture below. This script can be found in ‘$ADMIN_SCRIPTS_HOME’ directory.
Once the script is successfully run, a directory ‘clone’ gets created under $COMMON_TOP as shown below,
- Add the following entries in “/etc/hosts” file in either target machine or source machine and copy the file to other machine as shown below
Cloning E-Business Suite:
- Shutdown application tier services and database tier services by using the scripts provided.
- Copy source system db and apps files to target system same file path by directly copying them to another server or you can compress the files and copy which will save bandwidth and time.
To compress database and application tier use the following commands.
$ tar -cf dbtier.tar /u01/oraR12/db/tech_st
$tar -cf appstier.tar /u01/oraR12/apps
After copy, to uncompress these file use the following commands,
$ tar -xf dbtier.tar
$ tar -xf appstier.tar
Note that we are only copying “tech_st” directory from database tier and datafiles in “apps_st” directory will be cloned using RMAN.
- After successful copy, navigate to ‘/u01/oraR12/db/tech_st/11.1.0/appsutil/clone/bin’ and run ‘adcfgclone.pl’ in the format shown below to enable E-Business Suite utilities.
$ perl adcfgclone.pl dbTechStack
Rapid clone will ask for configuration parameters of the database tier. Enter relevant values as shown below,
This creates the CONTEXT_FILE.xml for the database tier and as the picture above shows, this script starts the database listener at the end. Then startup the database in nomount state as below
- Add an entry in “tnsnames.ora” file of the database listener of source system in target system and vice-versa. And also make sure “tnsping” utility works successfully.
On target system:
On source system:
- Create password files for both source and target instances using same password as shown below,
- Connect to both source and target databases using RMAN. To do this, execute the following command from source machine as “oracle” user.
- Now, start the active duplication of EBS database using the following command.
- Once the database duplication is complete, create all the configuration files of database tier by running the following command,
- Now, connect as “applmgr” user and run the following command to configure the application tier. When asked for configuration parameters, enter relevant parameters as shown in the picture below,
The script will generate all the configuration files required by the application tier and starts the application tier. Or you can execute ‘adstrtall.sh’ location in “$ADMIN_SCRIPTS_HOME” to manually start the application tier.
The status of application tier services can be checked by running ‘adapcctl.sh’.
- You can access the application by logging in to Oracle EBS. The Portal can be accessed using the following URL.
You can get the URL from the terminal as shown below. Execute the following commands as the “applmgr” user.
$ cd /u01/applR12/apps/apps_st/appl
$ . APPSPROD_server1.env
$ grep -i login $CONTEXT_FILE
The front end portal is shown below. Enter the username and password to login.